Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm in Louvre!!!

"They said it was big, but I didn't think it was going to be ... BIG!" 

Someone could have warned me about the sheer size and awesomeness of the Louvre, because I wasn't expecting it when we crossed out of the Tuileries and entered the park. It is the most amazing site I have ever seen. Ever. Immediately, I was in love. 

Today's Realization: I must quit my job, sell my house and spend the next two years investigating every nook and cranny of that grand and glorious building.
The Girls Felt Like Dancing at the Louvre
I did a little research about the Louvre and though it's quite old -- it was first built as part of a wall to keep pesky Normandy invaders out in 1100ish -- it's had a pretty sad history of being abandon many times and for over hundreds of years -- including by the royal family who relocated to Versailles (I *must* see that place) in 1682. It eventually was used as storage for all the cool artifacts and art the French royalty accumulated and opened its doors to the public as a museum in 1793 (!).  

(By the way -- 10 points to the person who can name the movie where I got the above quote! Hint: None of the movie was filmed in Paris -- though, it was based on a French play. Discuss.)

No comments:

Post a Comment