Friday, September 17, 2010

Paris Day 3 - A Special Guest on Our Last Day

On Our Way to the Tower
This morning we were joined by ... David! His conference now over, though a few phone meetings remained, he was able to see the town. His request ... the Eiffel Tower. So we headed in that direction once again. Major bonus: He pushed the World's Heaviest Stroller!

During our first trip to the Tower, we didn't actually cross the street to see it up-close. So, that's what we did. Even on this second trip, I couldn't get over how massively tall it is. I mean, it's TALL! Statue of Liberty-tall! (Which makes sense, right?) And of course, we had to hit the carousel, too ... again.

After lunch at a charming cafe, we hopped a metro to the bottom of the Champs-Elysees to make the grand walk to the Louvre. This street is tree-lined and lovely, with peek-a-boo glimpses of the Grand Palais and Petit Palais, as well as other delectable buildings.

Oh, Obelisque
This is where I'm going to gush: Oh my, how I love this city! It's so beautiful. So historic. So decadent. And so massively big, I never felt closed-in by the crowds. I'm completely smitten by this place. New York is going to seem like the poor man's Paris from now on. I never want to leave.

Okay. Enough said.

Place De La Concorde has a cool story. In the center, there used to be a statue of some king, it was toppled by the masses and replaced by the guillotine during the Revolution. Over 1,000 people were beheaded here including Marie Antoinette. The guillotine is long gone and now a simple Egyptian obelisque stands in the center -- all wreathed in a circle of massive traffic. Cars speeding in every direction!

Pond-side at Tuileries
From there, we entered the Jardin Des Tuileries, which was wonderful. Lots of kids attractions including ... a playground! And a carousel! Joy! We took our time meandering here and there. It's flat and very stroller-friendly. The pools were beautiful and Alice enjoyed shooing another type of bird -- ducks! They don't shoo so easily.

And then, there it was, the Louvre. My thoughts on the Louvre is getting its own post but I will say again that this sucker is BIG. But not in an overdone sort of way. Total eye candy. I immediately loved it. And I got some national pride knowing that I.M. Pei designed the pretty glass pyramids in front of it. Yay America!

Upon seeing those pyramids, Leah had to find a potty -- pronto. So we took in some long looks, a bunch of pictures and found the nearest street exit to prevail upon the goodness of a cafe host for the use of the lou. (And we made it, in case you're interested to know.)

How Could I Not Love This?
With a promise to return to my Louvre in the future, we headed down the steps of the Metro (Dave swearing at the World's Heaviest Stroller the entire way) and took the ride back to our neighborhood. It was a little early, so I took the kids to the nearby playground while Dave worked. When it started to rain, we headed out to dinner. Croque Monsieur! My goodness can this city do cheese and bread!

Last night in Paris. I feel like I only scratched the surface, so of course I have to come back. Who's coming with me?!

2 comments: