Friday, September 3, 2010

Remembering I'll Leave Them Again

On my walk to work each morning -- after dropping off my kids at day care and my car at the train station -- I pass several schools and parks in Greenwhich Village. And because of this, I also pass parents and caretakers walking with cherubic little kids ... and I instantly miss my own.

I assume my girls will spend the rest of the day together, discovering new things, creating art and inside jokes, and laughing with friends and teachers. While I'm taking care of my to-do list for the day, interacting with adults and my active inbox at work - far away from them. And while I understand I choose to be a working mom, and I generally love it. And they're happy at day care. I still miss them.

This is the feeling I have to hold on to when I'm in a Berlin subway, with a screaming 2-year-old and a sobbing 4-year-old, holding desperately to my last wisp of sanity. Someday, very soon, we'll be spending our days apart again.

No comments:

Post a Comment