Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Change Of Venue - Hello Milan!

We're off to Milan tomorrow morning, so I've been studying the travel guides -- something I neglected to do before, as I was studying Paris and Berlin.

Seems that much like Berlin, many of Milan's buildings were bombed in WWII and have gone through extensive remodeling. And I keep hearing it's the least-charming city in Italy -- not a very kind description. But the guide is filled with Renaissance architecture, quaint museums and a lot about shopping, so I'm not at all worried about being disappointed.

I'm also very excited to read about the slew of FREE museums listed. That means I can wander through and make a hasty exist when the kids get bored without spending a single euro. I'm happy about that.

This is my first trip to Italy, a place I've wanted to see forever. Again, I'll reference a book (and its movie), which is on my Top 10 list: "A Room With a View" by EM Forster as one reason for my desire to visit.  I highly recommend both the book and movie. And Lucy visits Florence with Charlotte. It's where she meets George. And no, Milan isn't Florence, and I won't have a view of the Arno from my pension window. I'll still be in Italy.

Wish you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment