Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Eating In Berlin - Still Getting Used to It

One of my main areas of trouble (other than traveling with two young kids) is figuring out how Berliners eat. And when. And what.

For example, I went out on Sunday morning with the family to do some grocery shopping for the half-week we had left before leaving for Milan. The grocery store was closed. All the grocery stores were closed. All that is open in Berlin on Sundays is bakeries (thank goodness) and flower shops. That just doesn't make sense to me. Why close something as necessary as a grocery store?

And dinner... when and what do they have? The to-go places around the apartment close at 4. Other than the tapas place (a blessing) there is one other restaurant and its nearly always empty. Do most people eat at home? And we normally don't see kids in restaurants, where are they?

So bascially, if I miss lunch out (which I usually do), I miss out on the one hot meal I get all day. Otherwise, it's bread and yogurt for breakfast in the apartment. And frozen pizza or pasta in the apartment at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment