Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Milan Day 1 - The Greatest Park Ever

We had a 4:30am wake up time this morning to catch our 6:30am flight out of Tegel for Milan. Ugh! The flight was half empty so Dave and I took up two rows. The girls choose to bless Dave's row with their company, so I half-slept. I got a great view of the Alps, as well. Amazing!

It took nearly 2 hours for our cab to navigate morning rush hour and arrive at our hotel in the Northeast section of town. We got to our fairly standard room and I was ready to make do with it, but Dave didn't think the logistic of two twin beds would work, so we moved to a gigantic room with a king bed and a small twin. Okay, maybe it's not gigantic to some standards, but after the shoebox in Paris, I'm pretty pleased. There's plenty of space to run around in.

Once we settled in, I was off with the kiddos to explore the neighborhood and get my barings -- and hopefully stumble upon a playground. Dave was off to his all-consuming conference that will keep him busy for pretty much our entire stay.

A supermarket, some delis, a pharmacy -- so far this neighborhood was proving to be full of what we needed. And crowded and lots of traffic. I crossed a few streets toward some greenery and ended up in a park. I followed a woman pushing a stroller and ended up at a playground. The fates were with me.

But it didn't end there, oh no. The woman was from San Francisco and she had also flown in that morning with her adorable 2-year-old. She's also attending Dave's conference and brought her mother along to babysit. We talked quite a bit, actually and I might try to meet up with them later this week. After ample time to run around and get to know our new friend, we continues to explore the park. It not only contained three play areas, a lake with fish and ducks, and several busy cafes -- it had ice cream. And a carousel. Making it Leah's favorite park in all of Europe!!

No pictures today as I was too exhausted to bother digging out the camera, but we'll no doubt be returning to this park soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment