Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Milan Day 1 - Such a Different City

It occurred to me while wandering around today that I have seen three such vastly different cities -- something I really didn't expect. Sure, I knew they'd each have their own signature theme -- like Paris's feminine architecture, Berlin's buttoned-up feel and Milan would be rustic. But a city is just a city, right? I work in NYC every day, how different can they all be?

Sheesh. What a difference! They all feel like they exist on different planets -- not a 2-hour plane ride.

And it's not just the language, though that certainly sets them apart. There's a completely different feel here in Milan than anywhere I've been. Milan is like walking into a neglected attic. Where Parisians are stewards to their buildings, lovingly restoring them, Milanese rough them up. They show their age. They even smell their age. Even the newer buildings look dirty and old.

The city I've seen so far is a complete 180 from the order of Berlin. It's total chaos. Even the park had seen better days. The people are not formal, they nap on park benches, pee in public corners and smile openly at my kids.

I feel like I have to start completely over here. Nothing from Paris or Berlin has prepared me for this rough city.

Speaking of the language, I thought I'd get a leg-up here with Italian since I know so much Spanish. Nope. Not helping me a bit. I actually think it helped me more with French. But maybe that opinion will change after a few days. (Though, I can't stop danke-ing people -- where I am again?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment