Friday, October 22, 2010

Guest Blogger: David from Koln!

Hello loyal blog readers. My wonderful wife has agreed to let me “guest blog,” but only because I went on a little side adventure on my own, to the wonderful city of Cologne (or, Koln, depending on where you are from in the world).

I landed in Cologne on Thursday afternoon and stayed at the Le Meriden Dom Hotel, which I highly recommend. While checking in, I was notified by the extremely kind and helpful reception desk representative that I am currently a Gold level member of the Starwood Preferred Guest club. This was news to me as I don’t ever remember signing up. But, thanks to my “status,” I was upgraded for free to an executive suite. Don’t get excited, the room was tiny and had a twin bed! Makes me wonder what the non-suite rooms were like.

Meet the kolsch
After about an hour-and-a-half of catching up on e-mail (I was there for work, after all), I ventured out into the city on the hunt for a local brauhaus (brewhouse) to sample some local food and the local beer called kolsch. Despite being provided directions to a specific brauhaus, I wandered a bit and stumbled upon the shopping section of Cologne. But with limited time, I remained focused on my quest to find a brauhaus.

From what I have been told (by my guidebook), kolsch is only available in Cologne, so I had to sample at least one (two, three) glasses while I was there. After some wandering, I stumbled upon a place called Paffger Kolsch. I found a seat at the bar, and stared in awe (and envy) as the bartender served the kolsch. This wasn’t just pulling on a tap handle, this was talent.

How many is that?
I have to say, kolsch is absolutely delicious and dirt cheap by NY/NJ bar standards. But, you have to be careful. As I was warned, the servers don’t wait for you to ask, they just refill your glass (or, kolsch-stick)... and quickly. The only way to stop it is to place your coaster on top of your glass. Had I not been warned, I might still be drinking at the brauhuas.

In addition to the beer, the local food was also quite good. Based on the recommendation from my guidebook, I ordered the “Halve Hahn” as a starter, which consisted of a large roll, butter, a ridiculously thick slice of Gouda cheese, and some garnish. Not surprisingly, the cheese was outstanding and the bread was light and fresh. Following the starter, I was served a plate of roast beef and sliced potatoes. I’m no roast beef connoisseur, but this was the best roast beef I have ever eaten.

Unfortunately, due to conference calls and other work-related activities, my time at the brauhaus was cut short. However, my hotel happens to be located in a great part of the city, right next to The Dom, or “Cathedral.” While there are many cathedrals in Cologne, this is apparently THE cathedral. And, lucky me, I just had to step out on the small balcony of my hotel, and there it was, like a holy beacon in the night.

The Dom in Koln
According to my guidebook, construction on the Dom began on August 15, 1248. After the conquest of Milan in 1164, the relics of the Three Kings came as spoils to Cologne, which consequently rose to become one of the leading places of pilgrimage in Christendom. The construction of the Dom was a result of those spoils and was designed to purposely surpass all other buildings in existence. Amazing what money does to people.

After a series of meetings in another town located near Cologne, I was wisked back to the airport and headed back to Berlin. It was a short trip, but enough to make me want to return someday.

** Editor's Note: Leave it to Dave to take more pictures of the beer than the magnificent Dom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment